Rollomatic, a machine tool manufacturer based in Le Landeron, Switzerland, highlights the new GrindSmart® model 630XW machine with new and innovative capabilities relating to the production grinding of indexable inserts and other stationary cutting tools. Insert grinding on the Rollomatic 6‐axis tool grinding machines offers exceptional flexibility in comparison to conventional single‐purpose insert grinders. With its six fully interpolated CNC axes, a 6‐station wheel changer and wheel inclination up to 45 degrees, the machine can easily be adapted for individual insert designs, both for short and long runs. The compact and versatile design allows full interchangeability between inserts and round tools.
The clamping systems are designed to emulate the way that the insert is finally held in its own tool holder. This increases concentricity and accuracy. The clamping design is individually adapted to the type of inserts such as indexable, non‐indexable and replaceable inserts, threading and form inserts, dog‐bone and grooving inserts, drilling, milling and ballnose tip inserts, and other non‐round tools. An electronic touch probe will determine the exact location of the insert blank after clamping, so that the software can grind the tool geometry according to the virtual centerline of the insert blank. A run‐out of .0001” (2 microns) can easily be achieved with this method.
Compared to dedicated insert grinders, the GrindSmart 6‐axis series together with the wheel/nozzle changer offer the highest available flexibility for grinding a variety of inserts and other stationary cutting tools, while maintaining the ability to switch over to round‐shank tools within minutes.
– Grinding of edge preparation (such as K‐land) on cutting edge.
– Grinding of chip breakers on rake face.
– High rake angles can be ground due to the 6‐axis kinematics.
– High radius contour accuracy due to mechanical and software features, as low as .0001” (2 microns).
– IC diameter range from 3.9 mm to 25.4 mm, all with automatic handling.
– Both stand‐up and lay‐down indexable threading inserts can be ground due to the 6‐axis kinematics.
– Pick‐and‐place robot, so that inserts do not get damaged after grinding.
– Wheel and nozzle changers with six positions or 16 positions. Each wheel pack can accommodate up to four wheels.
– In‐process rotary dressing, or automatic sticking device available.
– Part flipper is available.
– Linear motion control on CNC axes.
– Desktop tool design software with 3D tool simulation and 3D machine animation with collision warning. High level of functionality, speed, freedom in tool design and user‐friendliness.
Rollomatic provides service/support from its North American headquarters in Mundelein, Illinois, and satellite offices in California, Florida, Indiana and Massachusetts.
For more information, visit www.rollomaticusa.com.